Electric tankless water heaters are becoming increasingly popular among homeowners due to their convenience, energy efficiency, and space-saving qualities. While they may seem like a no-brainer for any home, there are both pros and cons that should be taken into consideration before investing in one. In this guide, we’ll discuss the advantages and disadvantages of electric tankless water heaters so you can make an informed decision when deciding on a heating system for your home. Pros Of Electric Tankless Water Heaters:
1. Efficiency: Electric tankless water heaters use less energy than traditional models because they only heat up water as it is needed rather than keeping heated water constantly available. This makes them ideal for families who don’t need large quantities of hot water on a regular basis, as they can save money on energy costs.
2. Low maintenance: Unlike traditional water heaters, which need to be regularly maintained and replaced to prevent leaks or other problems, electric tankless models require minimal upkeep. This makes them a great choice for those who want an efficient heating system without the hassle of frequent maintenance.
3. Space-saving: Electric tankless water heaters take up significantly less space than traditional models, making them ideal for small homes and apartments where there is limited room for large appliances.
4. Long-lasting: Electric tankless water heaters are built to last and can easily outlast traditional models. This means that with proper maintenance, they should provide years of reliable service without needing to be replaced.
5. Versatility: Electric tankless water heaters can be used for a variety of purposes such as washing dishes, taking showers, or filling a hot tub. This makes them a great choice for those who need a versatile heating system that can accommodate different needs.
6. Quick response time: Since electric tankless water heaters only turn on when needed, they have an incredibly fast response time and can deliver hot water almost immediately after being turned on.
7. Safety features: Many electric tankless water heaters come with built-in safety features such as overheat protection and pressure relief valves, making them a safer option than traditional models.
Cons Of Electric Tankless Water Heaters:
1. Initial cost: While electric tankless water heaters are more energy efficient and can save money in the long run, they often come with a higher initial price tag than traditional models.
2. Limited capacity: Electric tankless water heaters are limited to how much hot water they can provide at once due to their size, making them less ideal for large families or homes that require high amounts of hot water on a regular basis.
3. Installation costs: Many electric tankless water heaters need professional installation which can add extra costs to the overall price.
4. Power requirements: Electric tankless water heaters require significantly more power than traditional models, so be sure to check that your home has enough capacity to accommodate one before investing in one.
5. Coldwater bursts: Due to the nature of electric tankless water heaters, it’s normal for them to provide short bursts of cold water followed by hot water when they’re first turned on. This can be a bit of an annoyance if you’re not expecting it.
6. No temperature control: Many electric tankless water heaters don’t have adjustable thermostats which means you can’t set the temperature of the heated water as desired like with traditional models.
Electric tankless water heaters have many advantages, including their energy efficiency and low maintenance requirements. However, they also come with a few drawbacks such as the initial cost, limited capacity, and lack of temperature control. Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide if an electric tankless water heater is right for your home based on your hot water needs and budget.
Tips To Select Electric Tankless Water Heater
1. Consider your hot water needs: Make sure to take into account the amount of hot water you will need, as electric tankless water heaters are limited in how much they can provide at once.
2. Check installation requirements: Be sure to check the installation requirements for any electric tankless water heater you are considering, as some may require professional installation which can add extra cost and time to the process.
3. Look for a model with an adjustable thermostat: Many electric tankless water heaters don’t have an adjustable thermostat, so look for one that does if you want more control over the temperature of your hot water.
4. Compare energy costs: Investigate the energy costs associated with different models to ensure you get one that will be cost-effective for your home.
5. Be mindful of cold water bursts: Remember that most electric tankless water heaters provide short bursts of cold water before hot, so plan accordingly if you don’t want to be surprised by this.
With this guide, you should now have all the information you need to make an informed decision about whether or not an electric tankless water heater is right for your home and budget.
At Ohio Water Heaters, we carry a wide range of energy-efficient electric tankless water heaters that are perfect for homes and businesses of all sizes. Our team of professionals is available to answer any questions you may have about choosing the right model for your needs, so don’t hesitate to give us a call at (614) 327-6971. We look forward to helping you find the perfect electric tankless water heater for your home.