Maintaining your water heater in Columbus, OH is essential to ensure that you have a steady and reliable source of hot water. Here are 10 tips to help you properly maintain your water heater so it will last longer and work more efficiently.
- Check the pressure relief valve: The temperature and pressure relief valve (TPR) is an important safety feature of your Columbus, OH water heater that helps prevent the buildup of too much heat or pressure inside the tank. Make sure it’s functioning properly by opening and closing it several times a year. If you notice any rust around the valve, contact a professional to replace it as soon as possible.
- Monitor the temperature setting: Check the temperature setting on your thermostat to make sure it’s set at the recommended levels. The EPA recommends setting the temperature between 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit. Keeping the temperature too low can cause problems such as bacterial growth and scalding, while setting it too high wastes energy and increases your risk of burns.
- Flush the tank: Over time, sediment can build up in your water heater tank which reduces its efficiency and shortens its lifespan. To prevent this from happening, flush out your tank at least once a year.
- Check for leaks: Inspect your water heater for any signs of leakage or rust on a regular basis. If you notice anything unusual, contact a plumber right away so they can check it out and make any necessary repairs.
- Insulate the tank: If your water heater is located in a cold area, insulating it can help keep it from losing too much heat, which will save you energy and money. Wrap the tank with an insulation blanket to reduce heat loss.
- Check for corrosion: Corrosion can cause major damage to your water heater over time, so make sure you check for signs of corrosion like rust or discoloration on a regular basis. If you find any, contact a professional right away to repair the issue before it gets worse.
- Replace sacrificial anodes: The sacrificial anode rod in your water heater helps protect against corrosion but they need to be replaced periodically. Replace them at least once every 5 years or sooner if you notice any signs of corrosion.
- Check the sediment build-up: Sediment can accumulate in the bottom of your water heater tank and reduce its efficiency over time. To prevent this from happening, check the sediment buildup regularly and flush out your tank if necessary.
- Inspect air intake vents: Make sure your air intake vents are free of obstructions like leaves or dirt, so that air flows freely into the water heater for more efficient operation.
- Schedule regular maintenance checks: Regularly scheduled maintenance checks by a qualified professional will help ensure that your water heater is functioning properly, and help extend its lifespan. During the check, they may also be able to detect any underlying problems that could cause serious damage if left unchecked. Tankless water heater installation in Dublin, OH may be recommended if the unit is too old to repair.
Following these 10 tips will help you keep your water heater running smoothly for years to come in Columbus, OH. But if you ever have any questions or need assistance with repairs or maintenance, make sure to contact a professional right away. Ohio Water Heaters provides professional installation and repair services in Dublin, OH, and the surrounding areas.
Contact Ohio Water Heaters at (614) 327-6971 to learn more or book an appointment for water heater installation in Pataskala, OH!