Are you noticing a steady decline in the amount of hot water coming from your taps? Or perhaps it’s starting to sound like someone is banging on a drum inside your basement every time you try to draw some warm water for a shower? If so, it could be time to consider replacing your old water heater in Columbus, OH. But before investing in an upgrade, there are several factors – including cost and functionality – that must be considered.
In this blog post, we’ll cover how often you should replace your water heater and provide tips on choosing the right one for your home. We will also dive into what kind of maintenance and upkeep can extend the lifespan of any model that you decide on. So keep reading as we discuss all things related to water heater installation and replacement in Columbus, OH.
How Often Should I Replace My Water Heater?
Generally speaking, the average water heater in Columbus, OH should last 8-12 years. This is assuming that the unit has been properly maintained and inspected throughout its lifetime. If this is true for your home’s current water heater, you can anticipate it lasting up to a decade before needing replacement. However, there are several other indicators that you should look out for to determine if now is the time to upgrade:
1. Age: If your unit is older than 10 years, it’s probably time to start considering a replacement.
2. Leaking: Water heaters are built to handle intense pressure and temperatures. But they can only last so long before developing leaks that may be hard to detect or slow-forming corroded piping on the inside. So if you’re noticing any signs of moisture around the base of your water heater, it’s best to replace it sooner rather than later.
3. Rust or Discoloration: Another sign that could indicate you need an upgrade is rust or discoloration coming from the hot water taps in your home. This often points to corrosion occurring within the tank itself, which can cause serious health risks and weaken the structure of your home.
4. Loud Noises: If you hear banging, popping, or other loud noises coming from your water heater, that could be a clear warning sign that it’s time for an upgrade. This could be a result of sediment buildup in older units, which can restrict flow and cause the water to boil inside the tank.
Choosing the Right Water Heater for Your Columbus, OH Home
Once you’ve determined that it’s time to replace your old water heater in Columbus, OH, the next step is selecting a new unit. Before making any final decisions, consider these factors:
1. Capacity: How much storage capacity do you need for hot water? Standard residential models range from 30-50 gallon capacities, but if you have a large family or use a lot of hot water for multiple purposes, such as laundry and bathing, then an upgraded unit with higher capacity might be the way to go.
2. Fuel Type: Electric models are typically more efficient than gas-powered heaters, but may cost more upfront. Gas options produce fewer carbon emissions and usually require less maintenance in the long run.
3. Energy Efficiency: Look for units that are rated with at least an Energy Factor (EF) of 0.90 or higher, which will save on energy costs over time.
4. Warranty: Most new water heaters come with at least a six-year warranty on parts and labor. Make sure to read the fine print and get one with coverage for your particular unit.
Water Heater Maintenance & Upkeep in Columbus, OH
No matter which type of water heater you choose, there are a few simple maintenance tips that can help prolong its lifespan:
1. Monitor Water Pressure: High-pressure levels in a home’s plumbing system can damage water heaters, so make sure to keep it at an even level (around 50-60 psi).
2. Flush the Tank: Sediment build-up is one of the main causes of failure in older water heaters, so flushing out your tank once every two years is essential for optimal performance.
3. Check Anode Rod: Anode rods help prevent corrosion, so check it every six months for signs of damage and replace it if necessary.
In conclusion, with proper maintenance and regular usage, your new water heater should keep you and your family in hot water without any problems for years to come! It’s important to be aware of when it’s time to upgrade so that you can get the most out of your investment.
If you ever have questions or concerns about hot water heater replacement in Columbus, OH – don’t hesitate to contact a professional team of experts today. They can provide advice on which unit is right for your home, as well as any other tips related to installation or maintenance.
At Ohio Water Heaters, we have the experience and knowledge to help you find the perfect water heater for your Columbus, OH home. Give us a call today at (614) 327-6971 to learn more. We look forward to helping you keep your hot water running smoothly all year long.