Although gas water heaters can last for many years, eventually they will need to be replaced. If you want to make the most of your gas water heater before it needs to be replaced, then follow these 10 tips. By doing so, you can improve the efficiency of your gas water heater and save money on your energy bill.
1. Insulate the tank and pipes. By insulating the tank and pipes, you can reduce heat loss and save money on your energy bill.
2. Set the thermostat to the right temperature. Most gas water heaters have a thermostat that can be set to different temperatures. The higher the setting, the more hot water you will use but it will cost more to operate. Conversely, the lower the setting, the less hot water you will use but it will cost less to operate. Find the middle ground that provides enough hot water for your needs without costing too much to operate.
3. Use less hot water. One of the simplest ways to save money on your gas bill is to use less hot water. Take shorter showers, wash your clothes in cold water, and only run the dishwasher when it is full.
4. Upgrade to a more efficient model. When it is time to replace your gas water heater, upgrade to a more efficient model. Tankless water heaters are a good option because they only heat the water that you need when you need it. This can save a significant amount of money on your energy bill.
5. Maintain your gas water heater. Like any appliance, regular gas water heater maintenance is important for optimal performance. Flush the tank once per year to remove sediment that can build up and cause corrosion. Check the anode rod and replace it if necessary. These simple steps will help keep your gas water heater running efficiently for many years.
6. Install a recirculating pump. If you have a long wait for hot water, install a recirculating pump to send hot water from the heater to the fixtures quickly. This can save water and energy because you don’t have to run the water until it is hot.
7. Use solar power. If you want to eliminate your gas bill, then install a solar water heater. Solar water heaters use the sun’s energy to heat water, so they are very efficient. They can be more expensive to install than other options, but they will pay for themselves over time in lower energy bills.
8. Install an on-demand water heater. On-demand water heaters only heat water when you need it, so they are very efficient. They can be expensive to install, but they will pay for themselves over time in lower energy bills.
9. Consider a heat pump water heater. Heat pump water heaters are similar to on-demand water heaters, but they use the warmth of the ground or air to heat the water. These are very efficient and can save you a significant amount of money on your energy bill.
10. Hire a professional. If you want to make sure that your gas water heater is running as efficiently as possible, hire a professional to service it regularly. They can clean the tank, flush it, check the anode rod, and perform other maintenance tasks that will keep your gas water heater running like new.
By following these 10 tips, you can improve the efficiency of your gas water heater and save money on your energy bill. Regular maintenance, insulation, and proper thermostat settings are all important for optimal performance. If you want to eliminate your gas bill, then consider installing a solar water heater. These tips will help you get the most out of your gas water heater and save money on your energy bill.
At Ohio Water Heaters, we are committed to helping our Columbus, OH customers save money on their energy bills. We offer a variety of high-efficiency gas water heaters that can help you save money and reduce your carbon footprint.
Contact us today at (614) 327-6971 to learn more about our products and how we can help you save money on your energy bill.